IsaacZ 发表于 2009-3-6 10:59:24

My Parents' Love

My Parents' Love

I lived in Dallas, Texas nearly all my life with my mom, dad and older sister. We were raised to respect others, value education, and get all that we could out of life. "You can be anything you want to be," my parents always say. "Work hard and the world is yours," is often quoted in my house. My parents are never without a helpful word of advice or a bit of encouragement when life gets tough.

I always knew that going to college was expected of me. After all, both of my parents are college graduates with multiple degrees. Even after I decided at 16 years old that I'd rather get married to a man who was so clearly wrong for me than go to college, they never stopped telling me that they loved me and that I could do anything I wanted to do. Thankfully, they talked some sense into me. I graduated from high school and currently attend The University of Oklahoma. I am Pre-Med with a minor in Spanish. I want make the world a better place. And I know that my parents are the reason for this.

Every time I call home to tell them about a grade I received in Chemistry Lab or Microeconomics or Zoology or whichever class it is that I'm working hardest for at the moment, they tell me how proud of me they are. I know there are college kids out there that have no one to call home to when they get an "A" on a project and I feel incredibly blessed to have my parents.

Don't get me wrong: We've had our share of problems. I was the angry teenager and they were the awful parents that wouldn't let my boyfriend sleep over or let me stay out all night or let me get my tongue pierced...but somehow, we managed to work through those issues. They never stopped loving in me or believing in me.

I owe everything I am to my parents. Without their constant love and encouragement, I wouldn't believe that I can change the world. My parents taught me never to settle and to always fight for what I believe in. And so I'm working toward something really great and can only hope that I continue to make them proud.
页: [1]
查看完整版本: My Parents' Love